Since 1885, the Claude-Antoine Peccot Foundation has been rewarding promising mathematicians under 30 who have distinguished themselves in theoretical and applied mathematics.
The foundation was started in tribute to Claude-Antoine Peccot, a young mathematics pupil of Joseph Bertrand (holder of the Collège de France Chair in Transcendental Mathematics from 1862 to 1900), by his family. It was originally used to create an annual scholarship, but was turned into a lecture course load in 1900. Then, in 1918, Peccot lectures were extended to two or three young mathematicians each year. Some Peccot lecture students are also exceptionally awarded the Peccot-Vimont Prize at irregular intervals.
Since its creation, the Peccot Foundation has rewarded some of the most promising young mathematicians of their time. Many have gone on to lead brilliant careers in the sciences, and helped carry the prestige of the French mathematics school to the highest levels worldwide.
Past Peccot lecture and prize laureates who have received the Fields Medal
Since it was first awarded in 1936, the Fields Medal has been considered the highest honor for work in mathematics, and is often compared to the Nobel Prize. It is awarded every four years at the International Congress of Mathematics to up to four mathematicians under 40 years of age on January 1 of that year.
(in blue, laureates who went on to become Professors at the Collège de France)
- Laurent Schwartz: Peccot lectures and prize 1945-1946, Fields Medal 1950
- Jean-Pierre Serre: Peccot lectures and prize 1954-1955, Fields Medal 1954
- Alexandre Grothendieck: Peccot lectures 1957-1958, Fields Medal 1966
- Pierre Deligne: Peccot lectures 1971-1972, Fields Medal 1978
- Alain Connes: Peccot lectures and prize 1975-76, Fields Medal 1982
- Pierre-Louis Lions: Peccot lectures 1983-1984, Fields Medal 1994
- Jean-Christophe Yoccoz: Peccot lectures 1987-1988, Fields Medal 1994
- Laurent Lafforgue: Peccot lectures and prize 1995-1996, Fields Medal 2002
- Wendelin Werner: Peccot lectures 1998-1999, Fields Medal 2006
- Cédric Villani: Peccot lectures and prize 2002-2003, Fields Medal 2010
- Artur Avila: Peccot lectures 2004-2005, Fields Medal 2014Fields Medal
- Alessio Figalli: Peccot lectures 2011-2012, Fields Medal 2018
- Peter Scholze: Peccot lectures 2012-2013, Fields Medal 2018